Friday, March 8, 2013

Birchbox Beginnings

I recently received my first Birchbox package and what a girly guilty pleasure!  Finding a cute brown box full of fun little beauty samples in my mailbox is enough to make me downright giddy (yes, I need to get a life).  I do like the concept of the new "discovery commerce" trend because it allows me to experience products I would NEVER even think of trying on my own.  I like that Birchbox does the work for me, sending specific  products that should suit my beauty needs (based on my personal beauty profile).  Does this mean the boxes are always a home run?  Not exactly.  But that's what sampling is all about - hits and misses and looking forward to that little brown box each month.       


1. Juicy Couture Couture La La ~ Perfumes are tricky.  It's so hard to find just the right one.  This particular fragrance wasn't horrible but it's just too teenagery for me.  It reminds me of something I would have worn in high school - overly sweet, like candy.  

2. My Multi Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer ~ I had no idea there was such a thing as a mattifying moisturizer.  It's supposed to leave your skin feeling non-greasy.  Yes, that definitely was the result I experienced but I didn't like it.  It also has a strange plastic-y smell upon application.  Pass.

3. TIGI Catwalk Session Series Finishing Spray ~ Great hold and a very pleasant smell!  The only weird thing was the nozzle.  It was so difficult to spray.  I think I got more product on my bathroom wall than on my hair.  

4. Color Club Fiesta Collection (Wild Cactus) ~ The bold color of this polish is very rock star.  I won't know if it suits my skin tone until summer, when I actually take the time to paint my nails.  

The sweet bonus sample was a caramel Ghiradelli chocolate square which I gave to my husband as a reward for setting up the lighting for my Birchbox photo.  I'm pretty sure he liked it.

Strangely enough, the best part about this month's box wasn't any of the samples inside but the customer service I received.  My box was supposed to contain the TIGI Dry Shampoo but I was sent the hairspray instead.  Wahhhh.  This was a disappointment because I'm totally diggin' dry shampoo these days and would have loved to try a new one.  So I immediately sent out a, "Hey .. just thought you should know..." email to the company and was promptly addressed with an apology for the mix-up and the correct dry shampoo sample on the way.  It arrived just yesterday and I can't wait to try it.

So ... any other Birchbox girls out there?  What are your thoughts/likes/dislikes?  Does anyone subscribe to other discovery commerce that gives you a bang for your buck?  I'm totally interested.  Do share!   

6 comments:

  1. JoJo, your #3 is too funny! I completely know what you mean too. Flower Bomb, eh? I will have to look into that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodgawd! I meant lighting (geez!), but I know you know what I meant. As for Flower Bomb, I probably should have written "sweet enough to drink." Personally, I think it's easy to wear but it does lean toward the sweet side. I don't think it's an adolescent sweet and not the caramel/vanilla fragrance that can cheapen a smell, just grown-up tea party in cotton candy cloud sweet. You know what? Don't bother. Like you said, perfumes are tricky. I'm thinking that your kind of sweet (classy and classic sweet) is found in the Jean Patou's fragrance "Joy." Yeah, that's probably a sweet-type of fragrance for you. The gorgeous bottle is jewelry for the dresser, too.

      Delete
    2. When it comes to perfumes I tend to gravitate toward the more fruity/fresh scents. I usually stay clear of all floral scents because they are just too assaulting on my nostrils. My mom always wore floral scents and I would have to keep a safe distance for a bit until they dissipated. One of my all time favorites is Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana and I've been wearing Clinique's Happy since college (hmmm ... maybe it's time to get a new fragrance???). I wonder if Happy is anything like the Joy you speak of.

      Delete
    3. Definitely try the Flower Bomb! I know someone who smells divine whenever they wear it (and the packaging is adorable if you're a sucker for such things -- I am). If you like fruity scents, you can't go wrong with the Fruits&Passion line. The Georgia Peach and Pear-Peony are light and clean. And yeah, my eyes are watering at the memory of mom's nuclear explosions of White Diamonds, Oscar de la Renta, and Tresor. WHEEZE!

      Delete
    4. Why hello MizBreezy! So glad you're here. :) Oh yes, White Diamonds and Tresor are forever on my allergy list. Now I REALLY need to check out this Flower Bomb scent as well as the other fruity lines you mentioned. Muchas gracias!
      P.S. I would like it to be known that I hit a real low point in my fragrance wearing when I went through a whole bottle of Hilary Duff's With Love. I'm so ashamed.

      Delete
  2. Erm. . . J.Lo's Still (sheepishly waving cuz I 'still' wear it)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I'll be happy to respond to all.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS