Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Driving With Scissors

Raise your hand if you have a painfully long commute to work every day.  And by painful I mean any one-way trip that exceeds the 30 minute mark and leaves you feeling stiff, anxious, and disgruntled with the world.  What an ideal way to start your work day, right?  Negative.  It can be downright torturous.  I know this feeling all too well having chosen to reside a million miles away from my workplace.  However, I have recently discovered the perfect cure for this malady: AUDIO BOOKS! 

I'll be honest.  I used to cringe at the thought of being trapped in my car with only the sound of a monotonous voice jabbering away the plot of a very, very long story - "Wah wah wah, wuh wah wuh wah." Uh, no thanks.  I'm a big music lover and I used to think the only sane way to get through a dreadful commute was to BLAST my way to my destination with some solid tunes (preferably classic rock gems like The Cars, Heart, and Zeppelin) and when traffic got really tense I could always zen out with a little Yanni (don't judge).  What I didn't know was that the perfect audio book could actually produce the same effect as listening to the heart thumping Barracuda.  And this my friends, is where I stumbled upon the in-your-face memoir, Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.     


Now let's see ... how could we best sum up Augusten's childhood?  A warm and fuzzy recollection of growing up with a loving and doting family?  No.  Enduring the typical growing pains of a young boy punctuated with periods of teenage dilemmas like failing an algebra test and getting caught with a pack of cigarettes?  Not quite.  Being abandoned as an infant only to be discovered by a pack of wolves who raise him to hunt for food and howl at the moon?  If only he'd been that lucky.  No.  I think the best way to describe Augusten's early life is complete and total IN.SAN.I.TY!  And not just a little bit of insanity but layers upon layers of it.  There was not a single minute of his entire childhood that could be considered "normal."  He was never given the chance to experience normal.  

Augusten grew up with an emotionally unstable mother and an absent father.  His mother's whack-a-doodle lifestyle caused Augusten to find himself living with and being raised by her lunatic psychiatrist, Dr. Finch.  While his mother takes a slow nose-dive into the depths of mental illness, Augusten is stuck in the whirlwind of the Finch family and the comings and goings of Dr. Finch's numerous mental patients.  On top of all of this, Augusten is trying to come to terms with his homosexuality but unfortunately receives disturbing and sometimes abusive lessons in love from a nasty little character named Neal Bookman.  Ew.  Despite his horrifying and often illegal home environment, Augusten somehow makes it through and eventually discovers what he was meant to do - write.

And boy oh boy is he a fabulous writer!  No doubt about it - Augusten's life story is blow-your-hair-back kind of stuff.  But the way he retells the events with a dry wit and a complete level of self-awareness made me appreciate his journey and had me rooting for him throughout the story.  I can see where many readers would be turned off or perhaps downright offended by the scenes of Augusten's life.  Some may even question the truthfulness of his memoir.  I admit I even asked myself once or twice, "Did he make this up?"  But now I think, "Dang - you have to be pretty courageous to share a memoir like this."  It was an added bonus that I listened to the audio version.  I felt I was able to connect with his story much more having heard it retold in his own voice.  What would have  become of Augusten Burroughs had he lived that warm and fuzzy "normal" childhood?  I'm not so sure but I'm grateful for his cracked upbringing because it made one hell of a good story.

Have you read this book?  What are your thoughts?  Have you also found the joy of audio books?  Do share!  


6 comments:

  1. I fell hard for Augusten. His pitch perfect humorous tone made me feel like he was giving me the permission to peer into his wHaKy world AND inviting me to laugh while describing his horrible and painful childhood. A testimony to great writing, for sure. The question of whether the story was true ran through my mind too...like, throughout the entire read. Even if Burroughs got a little creative with the truth (he never got sued, so, much, if not all of it, has to be truth-based), I'm blown away by his realization at a young age --amidst the madness --that he needed boundaries and rules.

    I've only experienced a few stories through audio-book but know for sure that if I had a stretch of a commute like you do 5 days a week, I'd be listening to stories more. No hang-ups here. The few stories I've taken in auditorily have both been read by the authors themselves. Stories written and read by David Sedaris are hilarious. Hearing Sedaris recite his stories aloud is as good (if not better) as reading them for yourself. Me Talk Pretty One Day and Naked were audio books of his that I really enjoyed. My favorite audio book to date is definitely Tina Fey's Bossy Pants, which I listened to after having first read it. Hands down, without a doubt, the audio version surpassed the text version on my enjoy-o-meter.

    Love, love, love the blog, Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your post, Jojo!
      It's funny you should mention Sedaris as a follow-up to Burroughs. While having a chat with my sis about Running With Scissors she immediately suggested I read Sedaris. I guess I'll have to add him to my list pronto! And like you, I too ADORED Tina Fey's Bossypants - I think I almost crashed the car a few times while listening to that one ... I was momentarily blinded by tears of laughter. Fabulous stuff. Can't wait to listen to more.

      Delete
  2. I love love love this book! I read it years ago but it somehow made me feel better about the crazies in my life because they are nothing in compared to his!! It has been awhile since reading it and all I remember right now is something about someone eating dog food?? I am sure it will all come back to me soon... I have also read Sedaris and Bossypants. Another one that would have you rolling on the floor in the same fashion is "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson. It is hilarious!
    I see you are new to blogging as am I! I started about a month ago and I am trying to get myself out there to discover new blogs, good luck!

    www.smileandwrite1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon! Thanks so much for stopping by. HA! Yes, the dog food scene was quite memorable. Why do we love these whacked out stories? I have heard of Let's Pretend ... and will definitely add it to my ever-growing list of to-reads. Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, a newbie to blogging. You too? Crazy, but fun (kind of like Running With Scissors)! I'll be sure to stop by soon. :)

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh. . . . the long commute. Did you know that SiriusXM has an audiobook channel? I'm not sure how they schedule their broadcasts, but I prefer sticking to the CDs/MP3s. When/if you're ready to listen to some fiction titles, I highly recommend anything by Alice Hoffman. All of her books are read by Nancy Travis (the actress), who is the PERFECT voice for Hoffman's just-on-the-edge-of-fantasy style. If you're looking for more laughs, definitely check out the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. Again, Luke Daniels is the perfect voice for this hysterical series. And finally, it's always worth revisiting the Harry Potter series on audio -- Jim Dale's reading is nothing short of amazing. That's the double-edged sword of audio books; the reader can make or break a perfectly good story. I'm currently waiting for Perks of Being a Wallflower on CD to arrive via MeL -- hope it's good.
    Thanks for telling me about that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would truly enjoy revisiting the Harry Potter series through audio. I've heard so many wonderful things about it. You are so right about the reader being the most important element to audio books. I think that's why I've enjoyed readings from the authors themselves. They know exactly how the story should be read.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I'll be happy to respond to all.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS