Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Downton Withdrawal

Call me an obsessive sap if you will but I'm having some serious Downton Abbey withdrawal. I'm finding myself wandering aimlessly, searching for anything remotely relating to the over-dramatized historical soap of the Crawley Family.  If only I could wake up to breakfast in bed like Cora, change my attire five times a day like the ladies, make snarky remarks under my breath like Mary, and constantly complain about living the hum drum life of an aristocrat like Edith.  I want to secretly turn to Carson for advice on life, hang out in the kitchen with the adorable Mrs. Pattmore, and smack the smirks off Thomas's and Ms. O'Brien's faces.    Ahhh... now that would be the life!  I, like millions of others, have fallen into the Downton trap and I cannot escape nor do I want to.   

To help fill my Downton needs, I turned to The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes (niece to the show's creator, Julian Fellowes).  It took a bit of time to get my hands on a copy as almost all of them within my local library's network was on hold.  But alas, one became available and I ended up renewing it twice in order to have more time with the beloved characters.  




To the average reader (a Downton non-enthusiast) this companion book would appear as nothing more than pure eye candy.  Which it is, loaded with beautiful full page photographs of the series as well as illustrations depicting the trends of the times.  But it's actually quite more than just fan fodder.  Fellowes takes time to give adequate insight into the real people and events that the show and characters are based on.  While the book's purpose is to give fans a backstage pass to the creation and production of the series, it goes much deeper into the historical aspects that form the foundation of the show.  This is what I appreciated most about the book.  I find period pieces fascinating and enjoyed learning more about Britain during the turn of the twentieth century.

Apparently, Cora's character is based on the real-life Lady Almina Carnarvon, who married the Earl of Carnarvon and earned Highclere Castle as her own.  The scenes from the show in which the family opens its doors to the wounded soldiers of World War I is taken straight from the life of Lady Almina.  This will definitely be the next book I snatch up in hopes of staying connected to the beloved show.  I just LOVE this stuff!

I found it quite interesting to learn that the show is taped in two separate locations.  All of the high-class "upstairs" scenes are filmed at the real site of Highclere Castle while all the "downstairs" scenes with the servants are filmed at a studio in London.  This means that a scene in which Carson, the butler, exits the servants' hall holding a tray of wine would be filmed one day and the same scene in which he enters into the dining room upstairs to serve the wine could be filmed two weeks later.  Fascinating.  (Yes, I need to get a life.)

Overall, the back stories of the social, political, and economical history of the time period is what makes this book a satisfying read.  Without it, the book would feel flat and meaningless.  The truth and authenticity given to the show is what drives audiences to return for more.  I love the mesh of fictional drama and true historical events that make up the heart of Downton.  It feels smarter than the average soap opera because it is.  If nothing else, the proof that this show is worth every waiting moment between seasons lies in the fact that my husband is just as addicted as I am (he may kill me for selling him out here).  He doesn't watch t.v. or read books (yes, opposites attract) so when he took the interest in watching the show with me (whoa) and reading the book (gasp) I knew it must be special.

Before I close this post, allow me to pay homage to one of the BEST aspects of Downton Abbey: THE FASHION!!!   


Calling all fellow Downton lovers!  Have you read the companion book?  What do you adore most about the show? What can I watch/read in the meantime that will tide me over until Season 4?  Do share!

8 comments:

  1. I've never seen this series or read the books but I know a lot of people rate it.

    Thanks for posting on Needful Books:)

    www.vintagecobweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting. I can't recommend this series enough but then again this is coming from a nostalgia junkie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, we have the Lady Almina book -- let me know if/when you are ready to read it and I will get it to you.

    Carson Forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! My library doesn't own a copy of Almina. I will let you know when I'm ready. It will probably be soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Not sure if you're planning to check out the show, book, or both but please let me know what you think afterwards. And I'll apologize in advance if you become an addict like me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been so sad since it the season ended. I've been making up for it with the Walking Dead on Sunday nights... but now that is over too! I guess that means for time for blogging :o) Not sure what my favorite part is..... I LOVE it all!
    cricket
    http://pinkcricketpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cricket! Thanks for visiting. It makes me so happy to know that there are other Downton Freaks out there (and I say that lovingly). I've heard great things about The Walking Dead but I have zero room on my DVR - it will have to wait until summer. I'll be sure to drop by your blog soon!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I'll be happy to respond to all.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS