Monday, April 1, 2013

Dinner: Toddler & Hubby Approved

It's a home run when everyone at the dinner table falls in love with an entire meal.  With a two-year-old and a picky husband, this does not occur all that often.  Don't get me wrong.  My husband is not a whiner by any means and eats what is given to him with very little (none) feedback.  My two-year-old is a champ when it comes to eating and has been known to pack away meals like a 250 pound linebacker.  And although I'm not Paula Deen, I can manage a decent meal without too many complaints.  However, it is a rare event when I hear simultaneous "humming" from these two. That's what happened when I made this combo and it was oh so yummy if I do say so myself. 


Parmesan Chicken Nuggets (original recipe)
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 servings

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
honey mustard dressing, optional (substitution)

1. Place butter in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese and salt in another shallow bowl.  Dip chicken in butter, then roll in crumbs.
2. Place in a single layer on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until no longer pink, turning once halfway through.  Serve with honey mustard dressing if desired.

*I substituted the honey mustard dressing because my daughter loves it.  I also only used one baking sheet instead of two (lazy) and upped the bake time to a total of 20 minutes.

Greek Three Bean Salad (original recipe)
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 servings

2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz,) cut wax beans, drained
1/2 cup sliced red onion (altered)
1 can (6 oz.) pitted ripe olives, drained
1/2 cup julienned green pepper
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumber
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (addition)
3/4 cup bottled Greek vinaigrette
1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese

Combine the first eight ingredients in a large salad bowl.  Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat.  Chill until ready to serve.  Sprinkle with cheese and serve with slotted spoon.

*I altered the amount of red onion because I think it can be a bit over powering if too much is used (a.k.a. bad breath).  I also added cherry tomatoes because I add them to EVERYTHING.  Afterwards, I realized that garbanzo beans and/or salami would be superb mixed in as well.

If you're in a Greek phase like me, check out this other scrumptious (and very similar) salad.

What are your "go-to" dinners that make the entire dinner table happy?  Do share!
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS