Monday, April 1, 2013

Dinner: Toddler & Hubby Approved

It's a home run when everyone at the dinner table falls in love with an entire meal.  With a two-year-old and a picky husband, this does not occur all that often.  Don't get me wrong.  My husband is not a whiner by any means and eats what is given to him with very little (none) feedback.  My two-year-old is a champ when it comes to eating and has been known to pack away meals like a 250 pound linebacker.  And although I'm not Paula Deen, I can manage a decent meal without too many complaints.  However, it is a rare event when I hear simultaneous "humming" from these two. That's what happened when I made this combo and it was oh so yummy if I do say so myself. 


Parmesan Chicken Nuggets (original recipe)
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 servings

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
honey mustard dressing, optional (substitution)

1. Place butter in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese and salt in another shallow bowl.  Dip chicken in butter, then roll in crumbs.
2. Place in a single layer on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until no longer pink, turning once halfway through.  Serve with honey mustard dressing if desired.

*I substituted the honey mustard dressing because my daughter loves it.  I also only used one baking sheet instead of two (lazy) and upped the bake time to a total of 20 minutes.

Greek Three Bean Salad (original recipe)
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 servings

2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz,) cut wax beans, drained
1/2 cup sliced red onion (altered)
1 can (6 oz.) pitted ripe olives, drained
1/2 cup julienned green pepper
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumber
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (addition)
3/4 cup bottled Greek vinaigrette
1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese

Combine the first eight ingredients in a large salad bowl.  Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat.  Chill until ready to serve.  Sprinkle with cheese and serve with slotted spoon.

*I altered the amount of red onion because I think it can be a bit over powering if too much is used (a.k.a. bad breath).  I also added cherry tomatoes because I add them to EVERYTHING.  Afterwards, I realized that garbanzo beans and/or salami would be superb mixed in as well.

If you're in a Greek phase like me, check out this other scrumptious (and very similar) salad.

What are your "go-to" dinners that make the entire dinner table happy?  Do share!

4 comments:

  1. Where I work, we celebrate Tasty Tuesday, which involves one staff member cooking a meal/treat/snack for all their co-workers.

    Last year I brought in this Cheesy Chicken Tater-Tot Casserole and it was a HIT! My co-workers started making it for their families, and I still get regular requests for a repeat Tasty Tuesday.

    Thing is, I really did not care for the recipe at all, and will probably not make it ever again. And now I worry that there is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds. What's WRONG with meeeeeee?

    Anywhoo, if you are curious enough to try, check it out at Lisa's Dinnertime Dish: http://lisasdinnertimedish.com/?p=3699

    And that Greek Three Bean Salad looks AMAZING! I will definitely be bringing that to Tasty Tuesday in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MizBreezy, yes! Tater tots have a mysterious power over people. I will surely look into that recipe as I KNOW Cory and Marly would devour it. I'm with you though ... tater tots never got me excited. Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your next Tasty Tuesday. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I'm pretty sure I could manage that, it's quick, easy and looks good.

    I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that are healthy and quick to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All dinners in my house have to be quick and easy!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I'll be happy to respond to all.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS